Associated Press, Fri September 2, 2005 02:26 EDT . Sri Lanka's government said Friday it has received only about one-third of the US$3.2 billion (euro2.58 billion) in aid pledged after last year's devastating tsunami, which killed more than 31,000 people on the island. ``More should be coming, but right now we have only this amount,'' Mano Tittawella, chairman of the state-run Task Force for Rebuilding the Nation, said while inaugurating a Web site that will allow anyone access to information about post-tsunami recovery projects, including financial reports.
The government is ``committed to the transparent, accountable, and efficient use of resources for tsunami relief,'' Tittawella said about the Web site, named the Development Assistance Database.
The Dec. 26 tsunami affected 1 million of the country's of 19 million people. Tittawella said a total of US$1.2 billion (euro970 million) has been committed for 214 projects to date.
At an international conference in the Sri Lankan hill town of Kandy in May, donors pledged US$3.2 billion (euro2.58 billion) for Sri Lanka.